Diya is a service oriented organization. Every year, Diya partners with a charity benefitting the South Asian Community to raise both money and awareness for the charity’s cause. In past years, Diya has partnered with smaller local charities, such as Kiran in Raleigh, NC, as well as global charities such as Children’s Art Village. Diya begins fundraising for its annual charity starting with Awaaz, Duke’s largest student-run on campus production. As the year progresses, other fundraising events such as the Triangle Semiformal, Hookah and Henna, Alumni Kite Flying Social, among many others, also contribute to the annual charity.
The charity that Awaaz will be supporting this year is
Let’s be Well RED
Let’s be Well Red (LBWR) is a social venture that aims to combat iron-deficiency anemia in India. 80% of India is anemic amounting to over 900 million people. Anemia is responsible for 65% of the maternal and fetal deaths in the country and is one of the leading causes of learning deficits among Indian children. LBWR’s mission is to help India fight back by:
1. Mobilizing communities for a local cause through our Health Scouts program, in which we train high school students to spread awareness about anemia in their neighborhoods. We also work with NGOs to setup anemia testing and treating camps in low-income areas.
2. Offering an affordable and simple solution in the form of iron-rich nutritional bars, called GudNeSs, which contain the WHO-recommended daily dosage of iron and are further subsidized for individuals living in low-income areas.
In 2012, LBWR started working in 5 schools in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Now, in 2013, we have spread to 25 schools in 5 cities across 3 states. We started out with 100 health scouts, and now have 400. Furthermore, our production of GudNeSs bars has expanded from 10,000 to 70,000 in total. We really need your help to increase the impact of LBWR and have multiple ways that you can contribute!
1. Convert your Online Shopping into donations to LBWR and help anemic patients India! http://lbwr.simple2give.com/ Just sign up and download this browser extension from Simple2Give and every time you buy something on Amazon, Groupon, Hotwire, Nordstrom, Microsoft, Thrifty (and other retailers), these companies will automatically donate up to 15% of your transaction amount to Let’s Be Well Red at NO cost to you! It’s simple and effortless.
After you have downloaded the extension, please spread the word to your friends and family members and have them join us in spreading GudNeSs!
2. Visit our website, www.home.letsbewellred.org/, and make a donation. $5 funds 25 bars and $10 can treat one anemic child in India and drastically change his or her life. We are working with the Indian government to adopt GudNeSs bars as part of the daily meals in government schools in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Your contributions will go towards providing free GudNeSs bars to malnourished anemic children in these schools. Let’s Spread GudNeSs!
3. Stay Tuned for our Indiegogo campaign!
Thank you for all of your support! We are confident that the anemic patients in India are very thankful for your contribution and all received donations will be acknowledged through Thank You letters and photos from patients, principals of sponsored public schools, and families. We are thrilled you are joining us to combat anemia in India!
Show your support by liking LBWR on facebook!
For questions/concerns contact us at email@example.com